Assessing the condition of a road, bridge or highway requires accurate data on subsurface features. Traditional inspection methods, when applied on their own, lack effectiveness. Visual data is highly subjective and influenced by technician training and interpretation. Coring is costly and fails to provide a quantifiable, representative sample of the entire inspection area. Our Bridge and Road Inspection services solve these challenges.
Utilizing the most advanced Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) solutions, we’re capable of examine subsurface conditions of roads, bridges, and highways to deliver insights into deterioration, cracking, delamination, corrosion, and other factors that may otherwise remain undetected. It reveals subsurface anomalies at the inception stage before they become a threat to structural integrity.
ARA Engineering Ltd
Common field investigations often rely on discrete, widely spaced sampling which provides limited information: it is assumed that the data residing between discrete points is consistent, but this is not always the case. GPR fills in these information gaps and allows more data to be captured with less damage to the existing road.
Benefits of our Bridge and Road Inspection services:
- Detect threats to structural capacity early on
- Minimize need for costly destructive testing
- Reduce traffic flow impact with posted speed data collection
- Ascertain complete data sets between cores and sawn samples
- Inspection data meets ASTM D6087-08 Standards
- Improve asset management by achieving a greater understanding of lifecycle costs, causes of deterioration, and the effectiveness of maintenance efforts throughout the aging process
- Achieve cost savings by applying resources where they are needed most and minimizing cost overruns related to risks
Our Bridge & Road Inspection services include:
- Bridge Deck Deterioration Analysis
- Pavement Thickness Evaluation (surface, base, and subgrade)
- Corduroy Roadway Evaluation
- Subsurface Utility Detection
- Post Tension Cable Investigation
- Rebar / Wire Mesh Investigation
- Void Detection
- Bedrock Depth Detection
- Project Management
Receive a highly visual subsurface inspection report
Employing state-of-the-art GPR processing tools and software modeling platforms, our team of highly skilled experts extrapolate valuable insights from the survey data collected to deliver a comprehensive report based on your project requirements and desired acquisition mode.
- Comprehensive Summary or Interpretations Report
- Photo Report identifying features, data points, and anomalies
- Line Scan; section view data offered as a 2D image, colour coded and annotated for interpretation
- Grid Scan; a collection of grid data that offers a more intuitive 2D image approach (e.g. colour contour map, stratigraphic map, and other mapping techniques) to illustrate key findings
- 3D Visualization; three-dimensional or tomographic images deliver better insights to data analysis and interpretation (e.g. 3D mapping of anomalies associated with sinkholes, voids, buried structures)
A Signal Amplitude Attenuation Contour Map created with GPR data, indicates areas of potential bridge deck deterioration.
Why use Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) for Bridge and Road Inspections?
Traditional inspections when applied on their own, such as coring or sawn sampling, lack data interpolation effectiveness, are destructive, and provides information at single random points. Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) is a non-destructive and proven technology that offers a continuous image of subsurface anomalies and conditions of bridges, roadways, and highways that provide invaluable information for asset management planning and maintenance.
So whether you’re inspecting asphalt conditions on rural highways, locating asphalt overlaid concrete base sections, or requiring reinforcement bar deterioration data on a bridge structure, incorporating non-destructive technologies such as Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) into the inspection process ensures you’ll receive the level of insight needed to make truly informed decisions.